All subheadings (h2...h6) must contain text content.
Best Practice Type: Pass/Fail
All subheadings (
h2…h6) must contain text content.
- Text content includes all text nodes of children of the heading element.
- Leading and trailing spacing characters are ignored. NOTE: If the text content is only spaces it will be treated as empty.
- If an img element with an alt attribute is contained in a subheading (h2-h6) element, the alt attribute value is inserted into the subheading text content in the order of appearance in the document to become part of the text content of the subheading element.
Associated Accessibility Guidelines and Standards
|IITAA||1.4 Use headings to introduce sections and sub-sections, and use them in the correct order.||Required||Violation|
|Section 508||1194.22 (o) A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links.||Desirable||Violation|
|WCAG 1.0||3.5 Use header elements to convey document structure and use them according to specification.||Required||Violation|
|WCAG 2.0||2.4.6 Headings and Labels||Required||Violation|
- Testing subheadings using HeadingsMap
- Testing subheadings using Fangs
- Testing for Subheadings using the Functional Accessibility Evaluator