Testing for IMG markup using the Functional Accessibility Evaluator (FAE)
The Functional Accessibility Evaluator (FAE) analyzes web pages for markup that is consistent with the use of iCITA HTML Best Practices for the development of functionally accessible web resources that also support interoperability.
- Provides statistics on the failure rate and the number of failures on a page.
- Manual inspection with another tool is necessary to identify the individual images that need remediation and to evaluate the appropriateness of alt text.
Step 1: Select the Page to Evaluate
- Enter the URL of the web page to be evaluated at the URL prompt.
- Click on the “Evaluate” button.
Step 2: Select the Page Report to Evaluate the Image Code
- Click on the “Text Equivalents” link underneath the “Evaluation Results by Best Practices Main Category” heading.
Step 3: Identify existence alt text associated with page images
- Verify that every image element has an alt attribute. (Non-informational images should have null or empty values.)
Rules Evaluated with this Technique
Descriptions should be meaningful and contain at least 7 and less than 90 characters.