Reading Order of Text Layer
The reading order of the text layer is an important part of accessibility and without proper reading
order the document will not make sense when it is restyled or renderined as speech or Braille..
Benefits to People with Disabilities
- Document will not make sense to people with disabilities
- The graphical rendering of text can reflow when font size is increased or decreased in Acrobat Reader
Benefits to Everyone
- People will get more accurate search results when the reading order of the text content is accurately represented
- The graphical rendering of text can reflow when the font size is adjusted or the widow with is changed in Acrobat Reader
Benefits to Developers
- Content will be more accurately be represented on the web, increasing the relavence search results to your web resources
Related Accessibility Requirements
- § 1194.22.l When pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.
Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Standards
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
- 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: For all user interface components (including but not limited to: form elements, links and components generated by scripts), the name and role can be programmatically determined; states, properties, and values that can be set by the user can be programmatically set; and notification of changes to these items is available to user agents, including assistive technologies.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 1.0