Default Language and Language Change Rules
- If an xhtml DOCTYPE is used the for the page, the xml:lang attribute should be defined to specify the default language, although at this point in time assistive technology does not use this information to change the voice synthesis language.
- Two-character character codes from a language value registry are used as the value of xml:lang attribute.
- The default language must be defined using the
langattribute on the html element.
- The lang attribute can be used on almost all html elements to define the intended language of the text content of the element, and is used by assistive technologies to change the voice synthesis language.
- Two-character character codes from a language value registry are used as the value of
Each page must have a lang attribute on its html element whose value is a valid two-character language code.
Markup must used to indicate changes from the default language on a page.